It feels so good to finally be able to blog. Life has been somewhat of a challenge the past few months. Doing my best trying to comprehend and moving on..
Anyhoo, it was a beautiful day today and I made beetroot rice for lunch. It was wonderful to cook in the warm kitchen. I had some fresh asparagus that I picked from the local market a few days back. Roasted them in olive oil and garlic to go with the beetroot rice.
- Grated Beetroot – 1 cup
- Uncooked rice – 2 cups
- Onions, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Olive oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Green chilies broken into pieces – 4
- Coriander power – 2 tsp
- Black gram – 2 tbsp (urad dal)
- Mustard and cumin – 2 tsp each
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice and keep aside
- In a pan heat the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add mustard, cumin, black gram and turmeric
- After about 30 seconds add the onions and sauté 2 mins
- Add shredded beetroot and coriander powder
- Add some water at this point to bring some moisture
- After about 5 mins, add salt to taste and rice and mix well
Cooking spring vegetables is always a pleasure. Nothing spells spring like asparagus
What spring vegetables have you been cooking?
- Asparagus bunch (about 20 stalks)
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
- Garlic, minced – 2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375F (on bake)
- Trim the stalks, wash and pat dry the asparagus
- Line a baking sheet with foil and brush some olive oil
- Arrange the asparagus on the sheet and sprinkle the minced garlic
- Bake for about 12 mins and serve with the rice
Enjoy the spring!
Leave a Reply